Monday, December 30, 2013

The Girls, Indeed, Got Grit!

If you remember, two of my work pals and a new friend and I enrolled in a 6-week program called Girls Got Grit as a way to combat the danger zone known as "The Holidays." The program was designed by the woman who teaches our RIPPED classes and focused on strength training and eating well.

We had our final measure up/weigh in on Saturday and I'm so excited to share our results!

1. We ALL lost inches!
2. We ALL lost pounds!
3. We ALL learned a bunch about how to lift properly and how to incorporate it into our normal workout schedules!

I know I've talked about strength training before. I have quoted all of the well-known, broad brush facts ...

"Lean muscle burns more calories when you're at rest."
"Lift weights to help fight osteoporosis in your later years."
"A combination of strength training and cardio is a better overall workout than just cardio alone."

But I wasn't sure I actually BELIEVED them.

I do now.

I have to admit ... I started this program more as a test. I wanted to try on the idea of weight lifting, but I needed someone to walk me through it so I really understood what I was supposed to be doing. I had done some Internet research, talked to a guy at work ... but I just wasn't really getting it and I knew I needed some help.

As such, I honestly didn't fully commit to the whole program. I only kept a food journal for one week because I knew I wasn't eating right. I didn't jump in with the suggested (but not required in any way) energy drink mix and Amino Acid (protein) supplements. I really just wanted to learn more about how to use weights to look and feel better.

Learn I did.

In the 6 weeks over the dreaded holidays, I lost 3 pounds and a total of 10 inches ... 2.5 from my chest, 1.5 from my waist, 2 at hips, 1 at calf and 3 from thighs.

Zippity Do Daaaaaaa!

I'm going to talk a bit more about the program, about our workouts, about the eating, etc. in upcoming days. Stay tuned.


2 comments:

marthamac said...

10 inches!!!! That's a-ma-zing!!! So proud of you!!! Guess I need to step up my workouts to include weights! You rock!!!

Miss Daisy said...

I'm not entirely convinced that I didn't just have tighter pants on. But I think there is absolutely something to the whole weights thing.