Tuesday, December 31, 2013

What is Girls Got Grit?

I'm going to give you a run-down of the highlights of program because I really believe that if you're serious about getting healthier, getting stronger ... and committing to it ... this program or one like it might be a great idea.  

I met Peggy at the RIPPED class held at my office. She's a fitness instructor for Zumba, RIPPED, Sculpt and other classes, and she participates in bodybuilding competitions. (And wins!) If you remember, I was struck by her killer shoulders the first time I saw her and she's really a living testimony to what hard work and dedication can do to your body.

During our second session of RIPPED, she brought up the idea of Girls Got Grit. Three of us jumped in and were joined by another woman from one of Peggy's other classes. All of us were at different points in our journey ... we were a mix of ages, lifestyles, weight/exercise histories. But we had a common goal: to get healthier. For me, more specifically, it was to get stronger. (I wanted those shoulders!)

Before we officially started, Peggy asked us to fill out some forms. She asked us for our goals, perceived problem areas (physical/functional), limitations/injuries, current exercise schedule, etc. We signed a waiver, of course. Then at our first meeting, she took measurements, weighed us, asked us about our sleeping habits and energy levels. Oh ... and she took the dreaded BEFORE photos.

She also gave us notebooks to journal our food and a suggested workout schedule.

Then, once a week, our group of four lovely ladies rendezvoused with her at 5:30 a.m. for a one-hour session. We met in the Janesville Country Club's little fitness room: two treadmills (one of which worked), an elliptical, a stationary bike, free weights, a bench, an exercise ball and a functional trainer.

This is a Functional Trainer. It allows two people
to work at the same time and has a number of 
attachments. Can be used for biceps, triceps, 
obliques, back, chest, quads, hamstrings and pull-ups.
And I'm guessing it can make coffee, too, if you push
the right buttons. I want one. Jim ... Xmas is coming.

At that weekly group session, Peggy introduced us to a circuit workout, and it changed each week. She taught us how to perform everything safely and properly. She kept us moving. She provided encouragement and challenged us to pick a heavier weight when the time was right.

We provided the sweat.

And then she'd email us the circuit, along with gobs of helpful information, healthy recipes, tips and tricks ... so we had ammo with which to face the week.

She also met with us individually and communicated with us via email to address our individual concerns over the course of the six weeks. For instance, I wanted a literal "lifting routine" I could do in my basement with the equipment I had on hand. So she came over one Saturday morning, we tried out a bunch of stuff, and she put together a three-day-a-week plan that hit the muscles groups I wanted to hit. Voila!

So, it was the best of both worlds ... the support and camaraderie of a group, but the customized attention of a personal trainer.

And I really liked it. Tomorrow I'll tell you why.

No comments: