Wednesday, December 18, 2013

New Runner ... The FINAL Chapter!

Yay! She did it! And here's her take on it all:
NEW RUNNER: I did it!  
It wasn't easy at all, but I did it!!! Miss Daisy wasn't lying about the conditions. Snowy, slushy, yucky, cold, and windy. I was a bit scared driving to the run, but there was no way I wasn't going to finish what I have been working so hard for over the past several months.
The whole atmosphere of the bells jingling, people donning their fun 'jingle' attire, and knowing that I was going to be a part of the 'running' population had me so pumped up that the conditions of the weather didn't get me down at all.
Filling out a poster in my daughter's honor to hang on the wall prior to the run had me feeling extra warm inside. It also meant so much that she was there to experience my first 5K. (Poor girl stood in the elements with her arthritis nurse by her side awaiting my finish)
Several of my friends from work who have collectively run MANY 5K's joined us. One ran right along with Miss Daisy, her niece and me. I was grateful that I didn't have to go it alone during any part of the morning.
The only real surprise I had were the hills. Now, SOMEONE said there were a few SMALL hills. From my perspective, they were like the Rocky Mountains, and I know I was getting a bit whiny after the 4th one. They were really HARD to run, especially with the snowy roads. I've learned that I need to train more on hilly terrain before our next one! Miss Daisy kept telling me to think about my butt as I trudged up them. (Interjection: Hills make your glutes look good!) My butt kept telling me that I needed to take a break!

I felt great the whole time. I still need to work on breathing. I can't seem to figure that out. That's my greatest challenge right now. My body doesn't seem to scream at me too loudly that I need to stop or slow down, but I just can't breathe. I hope to learn how to breathe as I prepare for my next 5K!!!
Crossing that finish line was just amazing! People were cheering for their friends and family, but I really felt almost like they were all cheering for me.
I have an incredible sense of accomplishment. I have to say, this is one of the most memorable things that I've done in my recent past. I think it feels so good because I know I'm taking care of myself, I'm losing weight, getting healthier, and have learned about the cool camaraderie that seems to exist among runners. I'm so thrilled to be one of them.
And then New Runner says a bunch of nice stuff that I'm too embarrassed to put in the blog. I'm comfortable telling you that she said she was happy to have someone cheering her on and she hopes to do it for someone else some day. And that makes me very happy. Then she reminds me of a trip to Shakey's pizza where we wore matching outfits. Ha! She wraps it up this way:
Together, we have checked one item off my bucket list ... and now my bucket is overflowing!



No comments: