Tuesday, August 12, 2014

New Breakfast Favorite

Call me Johnny Come Lately ...

Overnight Oats has been a "thing" for a while. What's that? It's when you soak oatmeal in yogurt and a little milk in the fridge overnight and eat it cold/room temp instead of cooking the oats with water or milk on the stove.

You get protein and a whole grain. The dry oats absorb the liquid while you sleep and you wake up to a fast, relatively healthy breakfast.

I tried it a few times a year or so ago and just didn't get it. Normal hot oatmeal is really not my favorite thing either. I can eat it, and do occasionally because I know it's good for me. But let's face it ... by the time I get done adding the craisins, walnuts, granola and brown sugar I prefer to make it taste good, it's not that healthy.

I have, however, warmed up to the cold version. I think what I like most is that I feel like I'm eating something substantial and it fills me up. Here's my favorite version:

Overnight Oats a la Miss Daisy
A handful of oats (you can use quick cooking or regular)
A container of yogurt (my current favorites are Roundy's brand Greek 100 Peach or Yoplait Greek 100 Apple Pie)
A healthy splash of skim milk ... make it slightly more soupy than you think looks right
A shot of vanilla
A big shake of cinnamon
A teaspoon or so of chia seeds

Mix it all up, cover it, and stick it in the fridge. I've heard some people stick it in the microwave for a few seconds or let it sit on the counter to take the chill off. The granola doesn't get all mushy as it does when you cook it; rather it stays a little firm.




1 comment:

marthamac said...

This sounds just delish! I'm going to try it! :)