Thursday, August 7, 2014

PR or Bad Idea?

I know I'm doing this all wrong.

I haven't changed a thing about my eating habits. I'm consuming too many carbs, too many sweets and just plain, ol' eating too much.

My counter has been to exercise. After a night of bad snacking, I decided to go for broke yesterday and do another half marathon on my treadmill. I did one two weeks ago, running seven, walking six, if I remember right.

Early in the morning, I climbed on and tried to run. I couldn't get it going. So to "punish" myself, I made up my mind to do a total of 15 miles instead of 13.

The only way I could make it work was to do intervals. Half mile run, quarter mile walk. Three quarter mile run, half mile walk. One mile run, half mile walk. Two mile run, half mile walk ... and so on.

At mile 15, I decided I could do two more and would finish at 17.

I got through it. I think I ran about 9 altogether, but to be honest, I lost track somewhere in the middle. I should train properly to actually run the whole thing, but I'm not there yet.

The truth is while I'm a little proud to say this is the farthest I have ever gone under my own foot power, I am also mad at myself for doing everything wrong. 

I should be increasing mileage by 10% a week and 10% only. I should be exercising less and eating smarter. I should be treating my knees better. I know these things. I've told you these things. And yet, here I am. 

My current choices are working against me. My metabolism is all confused because I'm eating the wrong things at the wrong time and exercising in crazy patterns. I have created a mindset that says I need to exercise a whole bunch to offset the food and then I beat myself up for both the eating and not working out enough, creating an unhealthy mental spiral. And pushing like this will lead to injuries.

You'd have thought I had this figured out by now, wouldn't you? 

I guess we're all works in progress. All the time. If you've been in this struggle, you know that it never goes away. 

Do the right things, often enough, and the pounds will follow. It's not complicated or hard to understand. Make choices to be healthy, in mind and body. 

Just keep going. 


No comments: