Sunday, August 3, 2014

Never Underestimate You


My bike rides give me lots of time to think. And just when I start to doubt myself, I get a reminder of how much is possible, even when it all seems impossible.

See that sunflower? She's growing on the road. Yeah. The road. She's at the edge of the blacktop, in the crease of the 2"H "curb" where a country road transitions from 55 mph to 25 mph and the road crew tried to make things appear more city-fied when the gravel shoulder disappeared.

She's found, or perhaps created, a place to grow, in a handful of run-off and junk dirt, because she's determined to bloom. She didn't get a fancy raised bed garden. She didn't get the loving weekly watering of a doting old woman in a big straw hat.

Let's face it. She probably came from a seed that was eaten and then pooped out of a run-of-the-mill barn swallow. Talk about humble beginnings.

But there she is. Standing tall. Shining bright. Determined to thrive in spite of the odds.

If she can, so can I. And so can you.

No comments: