Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Cruising a Grocery Store

New York, New York! The city that never sleeps! Broadway, boroughs and bedlam!

What would you do with your free time in such an exciting place?

I cruised a grocery store.

In full disclosure, I was on Long Island, not in Manhattan. And my "free time" consisted of 40 minutes after dinner at a sushi/hibachi restaurant  in a strip mall. So the grocery store wasn't exactly competing with Times Square. But even if it had been, I would have preferred it.

The store is Uncle Giuseppe's and the flagship store in Smithtown NY is where we stopped. And, holy cannoli! What a place.

Now, obviously I couldn't bring home much in the way of groceries. But I wanted to! This store had an amazing ready-to-eat or heat-and-eat hot and cold "deli" experience that puts grocery stores in my area to shame. Cheeses? Can't begin to describe the cheeses. And, a chocolate fountain or two to boot!

But I spent my time in the cold deli aisle ... looking for recipes to steal. The one I can't wait to get home to try is a Chick Pea Primavera. It looked like chick peas, red onion, green/red pepper, maybe some dill and a vinaigrette.

My meal preparation regiment has gotten a bit stale and I need to shake it up a bit. This little tour might have sparked a fire. Call me weird.

Do you do this kind of thing, too, or is it just me?

2 comments:

HR GIRL said...

I love grocery stores to look and gaze. I don't love shopping for a cart of food. I think I watch too many movies and I want to be that person that drops by the fancy market and picks up one or two much needed items and then gets home to my impeccably clean home and quickly ties an apron over my beautiful clothes (that are not wrinkled from 12 hours at work) and whips up some delicious meal w/o a recipe and my husband comes into the room with a nice bottle of wine he just thought to pick up. Too many movies, huh?

Miss Daisy said...

Maybe you watch too many movies ... but I watch too much reality TV. We were in Theresa Caputo's neighborhood ... of Long Island Medium fame. Truth is we were hoping to run into her. The gelato was just a bonus.