Sunday, June 3, 2012

Two Things

There are two things I cannot do standing up.

The first is obvious to all us girls. Men definitely have an advantage in this department. And it's also basically irrelevant to the CC discussion.

So I'll move on.

The second thing I cannot do standing up is pedal. As in, pedal my bike.

Remember how it felt as a kid to get on your green and white three-speed and pump up and down on those big, fat, plastic pedals? How free and light and fast you were, as the bike handles swooped powerfully side to side with each push, your hair flying in the wind?

I can't do it now. I mean, I've tried. I just can't. It's like I don't have the coordination or the strength or something. I can't put my finger on it. I feel awkward and heavy and slow.

So I just slide my butt way back on my seat, hunker down and dig all the way up those tough hills. I imagine myself to look like a long-haired, leather-jacketed bad ass on a custom chopper with my arms on ape-hanger handlebars, with the wind in my face ...

Ride it like you stole it.

No comments: