Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Fruit Salsa

The last time I had swordfish, I was stuck in Philadelphia with approximately 10,000 nurses gone wild and bad weather. The hotel gave my room away and we had to stand in line for hours at a bursting-at-the-seams airport. Dinner came late at night and the exotic-sounding-to-me-then swordfish wasn't so good.

We had dinner with dear friends on Friday and I ordered the swordfish with mango salsa. After approximately 18 years, it seemed like time to give it a second shot.

It was delish and the mango salsa was the bomb.

Here's my attempt at duplication without the mango. Jim grilled us up tuna steaks last night and this was the perfect accompaniment.


Fruit Salsa
4 nectarines, chopped (or mangoes or papaya or peaches or whatever?)
1 small red onion, chopped
Handful of cilantro, chopped
1 small jalapeno or Serrano, chopped (truth is I didn't have a fresh one, so I used a pickled one from a can in the pantry)
Couple pinches salt
Couple dashes of Tajin spice mix

Adjusters: Too hot? Add a squirt of honey. Or some watermelon. Or some pineapple. Not hot enough? Add more pepper or a shot of Tabasco.

No comments: