Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Go Gore-Tex!

Think it gets too cold in Wisconsin to run outside in winter? 

You're right ... there are a few days that are just too windy and too chilly. But in my opinion, as long as the sun is out, the wind is light, the snow is plowed and the temperature is above about 28 or 29 degrees, it's warm enough. 

Long tights, sometimes two pair. Layers of shirts in wicking fabrics. A windbreaker-type coat. A hat. Gloves. 

I can keep everything warm except my toes. 

My Brooks Ghost running shoes are meshy (yes, that's a word ... well, it is now) and the wind just howls through them. Occasionally I actually put plastic Baggie-brand bags over my socks in an attempt to keep the heat in and the cold out. 

It's an old trick I learned from my mom. Anyone else remember bread bags and winter boots or ice skates?

The smart people at Brooks were a step ahead of me on this one. Who knew that they made shoes specifically for winter/wet running? 

I'm now the proud owner of a bad ass pair of Gore-Tex Ghosts: 

So they aren't insulated or anything, but they keep water out, which means they should also keep wind out and keep heat in. I'm so excited to try them! Also think they look tough as hell. 

I'm not actually wishing for low temperatures and snow, but if it happened sometime soon, I wouldn't be disappointed. 

No comments: