Monday, December 31, 2012

New Year, New Goals

Truth is, I have never made a New Year's Resolution. I have made resolutions, or decisions, or commitments to myself, whatever you'd like to call them, just never on December 31st.

But I like the idea of the New Year's Resolution. I like the psychological mind trick of an official "start date." I like the gravity of what seems like such an important promise. I like the aspect of making a public declaration of your intentions.

I also think that all of those things just mentioned can make it all too big. Too overwhelming. Too all or nothing. Too easy to give up on because, hey, no one sticks to their New Year's Resolution, right?

So here's my advice if you think you want to, or need to, make a commitment to get healthier in 2013.

1. Make it about being healthier, not about being skinnier. Skinnier will happen as a byproduct of healthier. And being healthy sounds like a more attainable goal. It means any steps you take toward better eating or more movement "count" and you get a check in the win column, fueling your desire to continue. If, conversely, you want to get skinnier and don't lose anything in the first two weeks or lose very few, your head starts doubting and that spells disaster.

2. Make small, achieveable goals. You are highly unlikely to go from no working out to a two-hour session, seven days a week. But would 30 minutes three times a week seem more doable? Would parking in the farthest spot in the parking lot be OK? Would 10 minutes of butt lifts fit in during 30 minutes of sitcom watching? I think so. Would two days a week of healthier meals with reasonable portions work? Would cutting out fast food for one week feel possible? Would saving sweets for weekend be feasible? It just sounds easier.

3. Write it down. Or share it with someone. Better yet, find someone to be your partner in crime. Declare it here in the comments section! It's not quite as real if it lives only in your head.

4. Understand that there will be ups and downs. You will fall off the proverbial horse. Prepare yourself for WHAT YOU DO NEXT, because that's what counts. Tell yourself now that you are going to climb right back in the saddle and do it. The shorter the distance between the fall and the back on your feet, the greater the chance you have of succeeding.

5. Do more of what makes you feel good, REALLY GOOD, and less of what makes you feel bad. Eating a cookie every now and again feels good because you know it's a treat, you've earned it, and it's not hurting you. Eating cookies every day makes you feel like you failed and it leads to you beating yourself up. You know the difference. Getting up at 5 a.m. to take a walk can sort of suck because who doesn't want to stay in bed? But two hours later, that early rise and activity will make you feel 10 times better than the flipping, flopping and regret that comes with the extra 30 minutes of sleep.

My resolutions are in the comments. Feel free to add yours. We won't tell a soul if you don't want us to, but we'll support you all the way there.

Happy New Year!!!!


2 comments:

Miss Daisy said...

I am going to train for a marathon.
If that goes well, I am going to run one.
I am going to increase my bench press to 80 lbs (I'm at 65 now).
I am going to have one carb-free day every two weeks.
If that goes well, I'm going to be carb-free once a week.

HR GIRL said...

Really like your goals CC! I like that you are training for a marathon and being mature enough to listen to your body and let it tell you if it can run it. Keep in mind there is no shame in walking too.
Let me know how that carb free once every two weeks works (just not after you have fallen down the stairs from being light headed, k).
I have to give this some thought...okay a lot of thought, but I do have till midnight to make my declaration, right?!