Friday, December 28, 2012

Holiday Carrots

I made these for the first time Tuesday and really liked them. They're a little more special than everyday glazed carrots and would be good, I think, for Thanksgiving/Christmas or Easter holidays.

Orange Ginger Maple Glazed Carrots
1 lb. baby carrots
1/2 cup fresh orange juice (though I'm sure regular orange juice from concentrate or a bottle would work) ... this worked out to 1.5 naval oranges for me, BTW
Zest from 1 orange
1 T (or a big spoonful) of grated ginger (I keep a jar of prepared stuff in my fridge ... it's sold by the chopped garlic in a jar in my grocery store)
2-ish T of real maple syrup
1-2T butter
Salt to taste

In a large, shallow skillet, dump carrots and cover them with water. Bring to boil and let them bubble away until they're done to the texture you like. I like mine with a little snap in them. My mom likes hers mushy. Drain. In the same pan, add juice, ginger, syrup and butter. Let it bubble away and reduce. As it reduces, the liquid gets more syrup-y and glazes the carrots. Add the zest about halfway through. Before serving, add some chopped fresh parsley to make it pretty.

No comments: