Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Man, I Love Eggs

We had eggs for dinner tonight. Again. We have them a lot, actually. 

I love them. I really love them. 

And I'm so glad that they're no longer demonized as the Crown Prince of Cholesterol Evil. A quick web search says eggs can cure headaches, help your concentration and improve your mood. It also says they can cause cancer and send you to an early grave. I'm not sure I believe any of it. 

What I know is that they are a low-calorie, good source of protein. One whole egg has 70-75 calories, 7 grams of high-quality protein, 5 grams of fat and 1.6 grams of saturated fat. One egg white has only 16 calories an 3.6 grams of protein. 

I am not one of those people who only eat egg whites, but the truth is I like the white part better than the yolk. So if I'm looking for a bunch of lunch or a big breakfast after a long workout, I tend toput one or maybe two whole eggs in the pan with another 2 or 3 egg whites. Much more food for very little calorie count. 

My favorite way to eat eggs is just fried, sunny side up. But I like 'em scrambled with stuff added and without, in chilaquiles or migas. I hard boil them and take them to work as lunch or snack. 

Tonight's dinner celebrated "The Leftover" and it was delicious. We had salad last night and I had chopped up too many onions and red peppers, so in the skillet they went. Then I found some turkey sausage in the freezer. Bam. Added the eggs, five for the two of us. In a separate grill pan, we sprayed some asparagus with olive oil, and sprinkled with salt and pepper. Popped the bagel thins in the toaster and we had a meal in less than 30 minutes. 

What's your favorite way to eat eggs? Share the recipe in the comments, please!



3 comments:

Always a Beginner said...

In brownies. Buy a box. Make batter according to package instructions. Fill pan halfway. Add a layer of chocolate chips. Top with the rest of the batter. Bake according to package instructions. Best eggs EVER.

Miss Daisy said...

Oooooh! That's a good one, Tiffany! LOL. (And I totally think you're right!)

Amber said...

I love eggs! Egg sandwiches, dippy, deviled lol. In the morning I really like egg cups. Put a piece of ham lunch meat in a muffin tin, Crack an egg in the cup of ham, bake 20 minutes and eat. I make up a pan and grab a couple for breakfast on the go. Get creative and scramble the eggs with peppers and cheese then dump and bake.