Thursday, April 17, 2014

First Races Scheduled

So far, my race season has two entries:

The first will be May 3. It's the inaugural  Beloit Downtown Dash 5K and because my new company is a newly minted member of the Beloit Chamber, some folks from my office have decided to run this. I've decided to run it for time, which I've never done before. The goal is to finish in 28 minutes. It's a stretch for me, but I think it's doable. I have some work travel between now and then, but my training of late has included some speed work and I think I can make it work.

The second will be May 17. It will be my third Janesville Pound the Pavement 5K, benefiting Habitat for Humanity. This was the race Jim ran last year ... his first and only 5K. I did the 10K last year and would honestly like to again, but we have a long weekend planned that begins as soon as the race is done, so I'm only going to do the short one.

The Fort Half is on June 21. The timing would be pretty good from a training standpoint, but I'm not sure I want to run the same long course twice. There's something nice about not knowing how far you have to go, if that makes sense. There's also a half in Lake Mills on June 4. That might be a better choice. A nice run around Rock Lake sounds kind of pretty, too.

As for my dream of a marathon? I need to look at my training plan a bit more carefully to know what the right dates might be. Fox Cities marathon in September sounds good at first blush. And, I have friends in Neenah (one who has run the course before) who might be a very valuable resource!

Anyone have race plans? Share if you want to here in comments or on Facebook.


No comments: