Sunday, April 13, 2014

I'm Calling It "Shoulder Beach"

Today's run had to be squeezed in between weather fronts. The road was wet, the air heavy and damp. The sky was really gray and not so cheerful.

Let's just say it wasn't the perfect day for a long run. (Unlike my friend Tiffany, who loves running in the rain, I am not a fan. It's just not my deal.)

But as soon as I got out there, I could smell it. I could smell the sand. The very wet sand on the shoulder of the road.

And if I closed my eyes, I could almost pretend it was the beach.

Sure, it was missing that salty perfume. There were no shells. No driftwood to dodge. And, sadly, no sun.

But there was wet sand. And it was just enough to give me a little hope that spring will indeed come. That the sunshine is not too far away.

It was also just enough to get me through the 8 miles I had promised myself I'd do. (More on that tomorrow.)

So, from here on out, I'm choosing to think of it all as "Shoulder Beach." Not as good as, say, Madeira Beach, which was the last waterfront I ran on, but it's going to have to do.

If you don't see the rest of the road, it almost looks like a beach, right?

Yup, still wearing my winter shoes. Ugh. 

No comments: