Monday, April 28, 2014

Review: Frontera Key Lime Cilantro Taco Skillet Sauce

Dinner tonight was fish. Frozen cod, to be specific. (I'm still in the process of cleaning out/eating my way though the freezer and the frozen fish gods seem to have been very generous.)

With a hunk of raw marine flesh, an onion, an avocado and some cilantro, we put this little packet to use:
Key Lime Cilantro Taco Skillet Sauce
I started onion slices in a little olive oil and once they were soft, I tossed in the fish. I seasoned the whole mess with a little salt and pepper. When the fish was nearly opaque, I poured in the sauce and let the whole shebang heat through.

I served with sliced avocado, chopped cilantro and a side of sauteed asparagus.

Good: The sauce was really robust. Gave boring cod a little zing. It would also be good with shrimp. But Jim is allergic to shrimp and I'm kind of fond of him, so I have decided to not try that, lest he stop breathing. Made for a very fast dinner, too ... fish just doesn't take that long to cook and pouring the already prepared sauce on is easy-peasy.

Bad: It was salty. Not sure if I salted too much as I seasoned the onions and fish while I cooked. And there was waaaaaay more sauce than I needed for our ample fish serving. I could have frozen half to use later and stretched it out with water to cut down on the sodium and get twice as much bang for the buck. Oh, it wasn't super pretty either.

Next time: I would put the fish in whole wheat tortillas for a fish taco. In fact, that's what I'm doing with the leftovers for tomorrow's lunch. You could also make tinfoil packs with sauce and fish to throw on the grill for no-cleanup meal prep!



No comments: