Monday, April 14, 2014

Outrunning the Voices in My Head

Oh, Sunday.

The day I was looking forward to and the day I dreaded just a little.

I knew I had to get back on track Sunday if I had any hope of getting a half and full marathon in this summer. Not because I don't have time to train, but because my head is playing all sorts of tricks on me and I knew I had to get through a whole pile of fear and doubt or I may never get back on the horse.

Last weekend, after the week of being sick, I did 4 miles on Saturday and about 6.5 on Sunday. I paid for it dearly on Monday. I was sore and stiff and my knees were not happy.

The week brought a more normal routine:
Monday: 60-minute strength
Tuesday: 45-minute bike
Wednesday: 4-mile run
Thursday: 45-minute bike with strength intervals
Friday: 4-mile fast run
Saturday: 1-hour RIPPED class and about a 1.5-mile walk to breakfast

Which left me set up for the challenge of Sunday's long run, with a goal of 8 miles.

Long before dawn, I woke up sore from RIPPED. I woke up early because my knees hurt. I woke up to a very small window of no rain. I woke up to wanting to skip the whole thing.

Then I put on my Wonder Woman panties and hit the road.

It might have been the toughest 8 miles I have ever done.

I walked three times. Twice to text my sister ... just a few steps each time. And once up the nasty hill on my usual route, probably a tenth of a mile. (Which was, of course, when my neighbor drove past and waved. Busted.)

In the end, it's done. I got it done. I mapped it when I got home and it's really closer to 9 miles than 8, and I felt every blessed step Sunday afternoon and I'm still stiff and sore today.

But I beat the doubter in my head. She couldn't keep up.




4 comments:

Amber said...

What day is your rest day?

Amber said...

What day is your rest day?

Amber said...

What day is your rest day?

Miss Daisy said...

I count my Monday Strength Day and bike days as rest. Rest for my knees. I do sometimes make Monday or Friday complete rest days. But with the way I've been eating lately (she says after a handful of jelly beans), I skip rest days.