Saturday, December 11, 2010

Not My Mama's Barf-e-cue

In my family, we call Sloppy Joes "Barbecues." They are a staple on a potluck table at a family gathering and something my mom made at least once every two weeks when we were kids because they were cheap and easy and fast. I remember eating them a lot in high school as she was trying to make sure we had something in our stomachs between after-school practices and part-time jobs.

They were always served on a white hamburger bun (that usually had been frozen, so it was kind of dried out and a little cold) and served with Kraft Macaroni and Cheese. The side dishes on that table probably consisted of a plate of colby cheese and dill pickles.

And I LOVE them.

Well, I love my mom's. I'm not a huge fan of the versions other people make. Can't stand Manwich.

Every once in a while I just get a hankering for one. Her secret recipe was ground beef and a bottle of Heinz Chili Sauce. That's it. Mmmmm. I like mine with a piece of colby cheese all melting on it. Truth be told, I abhor the white hamburger bun and will put them on just about anything else ... but I love the barbecue.

Jim hates them. And he calls them "barf-e-cues."

Now, he hates them all. Not just hers. Or mine. I guess that would make him an equal-opportunity hater.

Since last week was such a crazy, hectic mess and the coming week doesn't look much better, my plan was to use today to get a little ahead and ready for the rollercoaster ride that will start Monday. You know, make a few things to put in the freezer so they'd be ready when we got home late. Barbecue was just the ticket, but how do I make Jim like them?

I did this:

Not My Mama's Barbecue
Olive oil
1/4 c onion, chopped
1 stalk celery, chopped
1 pkg. ground turkey
Salt and pepper
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp chili powder
1/2 can shoepeg corn, drained
1 can black beans, rinsed
1 bottle chili sauce (located by the ketchup in the grocery store)

In a big frying pan, go once or twice around with olive oil. Add onions and celery, cooking until they're a little soft. Add the turkey, salt, pepper, cumin and chili powder. Break up the turkey as it cooks. When there's no more pink, add the beans and corn. Let it cook until all the liquid from the veg has cooked off. Taste it, adjust salt and pepper if you need to. The add the bottle of chili sauce. (Make sure to dump it all in, then add a little water to the bottle and shake it to get every last bit out. Doing this reminds me of my thrifty mom.)

Let it heat all the way through. Adjust seasoning if you need to. If you don't like a lot of cumin and chili, add less. If you like more spice, red pepper flake or even a little chipolte in adobo or a jalapeno would be good. I serve it on bakery wheat buns or a tortilla or on a whole wheat flatbread.

Jim even said he liked it. Assured me it was the corn that did it.

No comments: