Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Tricks for Treats

Ever sit down with a bag of chips, start munching and all of a sudden realize the bag is more than half gone?

It happens so fast. It happens with cookies, too. And candy. And French fries. Your intent is to just have a few. And then, ker-wham, you've ingested enough fat, salt and/or calories to last you all day.

To make it worse, if you sit in front of the TV while ingesting, this whole process speeds up and you eat more in less time ... in the case of chips, often the whole bag disappears. I think we should call it the "Law of TV Time Lapse" or something like that.

So I arm myself against this dangerous phenomenon. And I really try not to eat in front of the TV at all.

If I want chips, I open the bag, grab a small dish (like a ramekin or 1 cup measure) and fill it as full as I can. Then I clip the bag back up and put it back in the pantry BEFORE I sit down to eat my booty. I eat them one at a time to make sure this experience lasts as long as possible, savoring each and every one. (I'm not sure I've mentioned my love affair with potato chips before. It's not natural.)

At work, I don't keep any candy at my desk. But I do occassionally help stock someone else's bowl. If I have to walk to get it and someone watches me take it, I end up eating fewer pieces.

If I buy sunflower seeds or dried blueberries or dried cranberries, I divide them up into "single servings" using those little snack size plastic bags. When I want something sweet, I grab a little bag and go.

I'm also not too proud to admit that I will sneak a couple of fries, with permission of course, from somebody's plate, but never order my own.

Isn't that rude?

No comments: