Friday, March 11, 2011

Addiction?

There's this guy I work with who used to be a competitive body builder. I don't know the details, but I have seen a photo with a Speedo and baby oil and I know he's really passionate about it. In my new-found bravery regarding my self image, I decided to ask him for some advice. While I have hand weights and a bench press set-up, I don't really know how to use them to their best advantage.

Yesterday, we went to the fitness center on the third floor of my office building and he walked me through a dozen or so options for biceps, triceps, shoulders, back, chest and core.

I can get in more detail if you want (let me know), but that wasn't the most interesting part of the conversation. The most interesting part went like this:

Him: "What are you doing for cardio?"

Me: "I'm walking nearly every day, 4 miles at minimum usually and then 5 or 6 miles per day on the weekend. I vary speeds between 4.3 and 5.0 and I'm at about a 3.5% incline."

Him: "OK, what are you doing for weights?"

Me: "I have 2 lb., 8 lb., 10 lb., 15 lb. and 20 lb. handweights. I do bicep curls and an assortment of other things. I bench 30 lbs., four sets of 12 reps about three times a week."

Him: "It would probably be a good idea to do your cardio four or five times per week and weights two or three times per week."

Me, gasping. Then vehemently objecting: "NO! I can't do that. I'm not ready to do that."

Him, shaking his head: "You're addicted."

Me: "No, I'm still trying to lose. And I need to do the cardio. I feel better when I do. And, I'm way too scared to stop."

He spent the next 15 minutes explaining that my body has changed, that it's a different kind of machine, that I don't "need" to do that amount of cardio every day to lose weight. I shook my head at him the whole time.

I was surprised by my reaction. There is NO WAY I'm not walking every day. I need it. I want it. I can't imagine giving it up. Even though I grudgingly do it some mornings, I can't fathom NOT doing it. I'm so scared that if I skip one day, or two days heaven forbid, that I'm going to gain 10 pounds overnight and start stuffing french fries and HoHos (I love HoHos)  in my face immediately.

I mean, it was like someone threatening to take away my Cherry Coke Zero. You'll pull back a nub, if that makes sense.

So I've been thinking about it. Just thinking about it. My reaction to his suggestion really surprised me. I'm not going to back off. I can't. Not right now. But I will think about it. How will I know when it's the right time? How will I back down a little? Will I? Can I back down a little without going back to the slippery slope of "old me?" I know I have to manage this every day for the rest of my life ... and that's a sort of overwhelming thought.

But for right now, I'm really just wondering, "Am I addicted?"

2 comments:

HR Girl said...

I don't know your co-worker the body builder ( but I envision him looking like Bradley Cooper and smelling really good - okay I need to focus). I am no expert, but he is right, you need to change it up and you will love the changes consistent weightlighting will do for your body. It will change your body like nothing cardio can ever do. So, Bradley is right and I think you should try his suggestion for 3 weeks - Sleeveless shirts are in your future (think Michelle Obama arms!

Miss Daisy said...

Oh, to be sure. I'm going to add the weights. I'm going to be more consistent and more purposeful in what I do. I'm just not ready to give up the cardio. Not yet. And my arms won't look like Ms. Obama. I have too much extra skin. Taking care of it will require a scalpel. A little extra muscle won't hurt, but it won't cure. (And I've never smelled him. But I'll take a whiff and pass on my findings to help your fantasy if you want me to.)