Monday, March 21, 2011

Big Bones

I really used to believe I had bigger bones than other people. I believed that I was naturally "thick" and would never/could never be small. I believed that a size 12 was the best I could do and that it was sort of physically impossible for me to go below that.


Today I noticed that my size 8 pants were significantly bigger than when I bought them and that my winter coat was too big.

Guess what? My bones aren't bigger than anyone else's (though my shoulders are sort of peculiarly wide ... something school nurse Bev Findlay would remind me of on scoliosis check day every year in elementary school). I'm probably not "naturally sturdy" in build. And I just put the last size 12 skirt in the Goodwill pile because it literally falls off my hips.

Who knew? Really, who could have imagined that?

Epilogue: I stood in line to buy my lunch today at the little coffee shop on the 4th floor. In front of me was a Polly Pocket. She was teeny. (And teeny is much smaller than tiny!) She was 4 foot 10, perhaps. And I could have folded her up, put her in my computer case and comfortably carried her home. She even had a little elf-like pixie haircut.

My bones were definitely bigger than hers. But not by as much as I used to believe.

2 comments:

Martha Mac said...

I always wondered how my ring size could be a 5, my shoe size a 9 1/2, and my bra size a 36??? I don't attribute any of it to 'bones'...I just think I must be screwed up!!! :)

Miss Daisy said...

Not screwed up ... wonderfully unique!