Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Here Fishy Fishy

Some of you who read this blog have been baiting me in the last couple of days. Intentionally torturing me. Which isn't nice.

You've sent me links, asking me to join you in some cool challenge: challenges like a two-day, bazillion-mile bike ride for MS. Or a triathalon.  You're doing it because you know how much I get off on the idea of the challenge. And you're doing it because you've already met these challenges in previous years and you want me to put my money where my mouth is.

And I love you for it. Because I TOTALLY dig the idea of the challenge.

So on a day when I'm eyeball deep in work issues, running from fire to fire, emailing as fast as my fingers can type ... I find myself sidetracked in daydream land, wondering what it would be like to actually join one of these things.

I think about how I need to get a road bike (and those fancy pedals and a trailer hitch bike carrier and a trainer and padded-butt shorts ...). I wonder how long it takes to swim a half mile (and how cold the water is, and how I can't really do a frog kick anymore, and how many people drown in the chaos that must be the start line ...). I wonder if I'd walk faster than some would run. I know I can walk.

The truth is, I think I could do some of these things. If I really wanted to, I could find a way to make time for training. I'd really like to say I did it.

On the other hand, I'm a commit-a-phobe. And so NOT a joiner. That's why I walk by my anti-social self in my basement.

But wouldn't it be cool?

Let me know if you're interested.
http://bikewig.nationalmssociety.org/site/TR?fr_id=15481&pg=entry
http://www.trekwomenstriathlonseries.com/wisconsin.html

3 comments:

Mary said...

You know I'm in for the MS ride. We can do it. Ignore that training plan!!! Can't do the tri. I will be up nort riding my bike:)

Miss Daisy said...

I want to know more about this ride around the lake with beer at the end. I've mentioned it to Jim and I think I can talk him into that one.

Anonymous said...

http://figure8thelakes.com/