Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Bored

I'm starting to get bored. Bored with the treadmill. Bored with the food. Bored with thinking about it all the time.

This worries me.

So this weekend, I tried to do something different for exercise. And I tried to eat some different things. Because I don't want to get bored and then invent reasons to not do the things I need to do.

New Exercise
  • Picking up a winter's worth of dog poop in the yard: Instead of carrying a paper grocery bag or 5-gal. bucket around, filling it up and dumping it once, I filled up the little "dust pan" scooper and walked each scooper full to the hay field to dump it. It made for a lot of little trips up and down a little hill in my butt-shaper tennies.
  • Cleaning the garage: And cursing the fact that my push broom was only about 18" wide. It made for a lot of extra pushing, but I guess that was the point.
  • Handweight Routine: Using 2-lb. or 3-lb. weights, I do a rotation of the following exercises as many times as I can in a row. 
    • Lift arms straight out to the side (making a T shape)
    • Lift arms straight out in front (like picking up a baby)
    • Monkey curls (arms straight out at sides and bend at elbow to move weights into armpits like a monkey)
    • Divebomber (bend 90-degrees at waist and lift arms up parallel to floor
    • Lawnmower (put one knee on a chair and pretend like you're pulling the starter string on a lawnmower ... I usually put both weights in one hand for this one)
New Food
  • Sweet potato hashbrowns: Grate a sweet potato on a cheese grater, fry on stovetop with a little canola and onion. It's not great ... because there is oil, but I just needed a change of pace and needed to feel like I was eating "meat and potatoes." At least there's nutrition in the sweet potatoes.
  • Chicken sausage, peppers and penne: Cook an Italian chicken sausage (Woodman's), cut into diagonal slices and set aside. In the same pan, with a little olive oil, saute red peppers, onions, can of fire roasted tomatoes and a slightly spicy light green pepper like a Cubanelle or I used Anaheim. Season with basil, oregano, garlic ... whatever Italian blend you like. Toss it all together and serve over whole wheat penne.
Bring on the warm weather, already! My head needs a change of pace and I'm thinking some time in the yard (raking all the gravel that was pushed with the snowplow back onto the driveway ... ugh) and some time by the grill will be just the ticket.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

You simply need to train the dog to 'go' in the field! :)

I tell ya...check out an elliptical...change of pace, great workout, FUN! You are welcome to come try mine any time! :)

Anonymous said...

Lisa,
I am addicted to your blog and look forward to your next post.
you are truly an inspiration and
congrats on such a remarkable
acomplishment.You make me better
everyday and am seeing that scale going down. Thanks for sharing

Miss Daisy said...

Training the dog is Jim's department. Lord knows she wouldn't listen to me. And if she pooped in the field, I wouldn't get any extra exercise!

But don't be surprised if I show up at your house at 5:30 a.m. with medusa hair and bad breath. Well, I suppose I could brush my teeth before I leave home ...

Miss Daisy said...

Anon #2 ...
Thank you and CONGRATS on getting that darn scale to head the right direction! Be proud of the work you're doing and keep being good to yourself! You are worth all the effort.

Miss Daisy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
marthamac said...

I'm up then...and, I exercise in the evening, so you're welcome! I'll even make you coffee or tea when you're finished! ;)

I would appreciate you brushing your teeth, or at least chewing some gum though! ;)