Monday, March 14, 2011

No Sky Diving

Jim and I went to Vegas a couple of years ago for a quick getaway. I had a trade show to work and because we were sponsors of the event, I got a fancy room upgrade in the Venetian, a limo ride from the airport and a fruit basket.

Now, I'm not a huge fan of Vegas. But as far as Vegas trips go, this one seemed pretty promising.

Before we left, I hopped online and wanted to find something fun and different to do. Since we'd been to Sin City more than once, we'd already hit many of the standard sites.

I found the coolest simulated sky diving place. While I love the idea of sky diving, I'd never actually do it. Too much risk. I think I'd like the ride down, I just don't think I could ever hurl my body through the open door of a plane. This seemed like a great alternative. All the sensation, none of the risk.

I was all ready to make the reservation when I noticed the criteria: Maximum Weight 200-something Pounds. (I can't remember, exactly.)

Whatever it was, I weighed more. Or at least too close to open myself up to the embarrassment of potentially having to weigh in and go over.

I couldn't do it because I was too big.

So I turned off the computer. We went to Vegas, enjoyed the suite and the limo and the fruit basket. Went to this really pedestrian race car driving simulator that completely stunk in comparison to my original vision. And the whole while I felt like crap.

I really wanted to fake sky dive.

(And I'm never going to let being too big stop me from doing something again.)

No comments: