Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Gauntlet

The president of my company (for lack of a better term) is a marathon runner. As in RUNNER. In other words, he's not Kenyan fast, but he's close. 

He's not someone that just runs to finish, in other words. He competes.

We have been chatting on and off about my upcoming race. He's full of great information and even better encouragement. 

"So, do you do the run-walk? Have you heard of Jeff Galloway?" he asks.

"Yeah, I know what it is. I don't do it, but I have read about it. My plan is to run this whole half," I reply. 

"I have done marathons that way with a friend who is slower than I am," he continues. "It's hard to walk in the beginning of the race when everyone is running past you. But in the end, you really finish in the same amount of time that you would at a steady-pace run. What's your longest distance so far?" 

"Only 12.65," I respond.

"You could do 26 at a walk-run right now, I bet," he says. 

Oh crap ...

2 comments:

HR GIRL said...

Smart man that President! You so could do it! Best of luck on Sunday - you will be great.

Anonymous said...

Ms Daisy...... "only 12.64"....... Never "only" that's like saying "only a lb" on your weight loss journey. Relish every step, mile, sit up and lb. You worked hard for it. Take some credit. -amber