Saturday, May 19, 2012

Unusual Favorite Things

These items are new to my repertoire. I'm including the places you'll find them.

1. Chimes Ginger Mango Chews
Found these at Marshall's on Madison's west side and have to admit ... the first one I put in my mouth thoroughly confused me. Texture like a really chewy date. Sort of sweet. And really spicy ... but not like hot pepper spicy. Just sharp and warming. That's the ginger. Bizarre. But addicting. And now I'm obsessing and need more. Other flavors available (per Google research): Orange, Peppermint, Peanut Butter and just straight Ginger. The mint makes NO sense to me. And the Peanut Butter sounds so weird that I have to try it. Bonus ... apparently ginger is good for nausea ... like from morning sickness or motion sickness. If I could eat candy vs. taking Dramamine, I'm in!

2. Blue Diamond Natural Oven Roasted Almonds, Butter Toffee and Dark Chocolate Flavors
These are sold in the "chip/snack" section of my Pick 'N Save by the peanuts and popcorn. They come in a 6" tall plastic bottle with a flip-top lid and 1-oz. serving size marks on the bottle like a measuring cup. They're just sweet enough to feel decadent. They're almonds so they're good fat. And they crunch.

3. Queso Fresco
Think Feta, but wetter and better. I have to be careful not to buy it too often, because I eat it in big hunks. Salty and yummy. Available at normal grocery stores and cheaper at Mexican tiendas.

4. Tajin Spice Mix
I think I've talked about this before. I believe it's a Mexican seasoning and I get it at WalMart in the produce section. It's lime, chili and salt ... great in Mexican and Asian food. I use it to make salad dressing, as a meat rub, on grilled veg and even as a hummus perker-upper when I don't have roasted red peppers.

5. Kashi Island Vanilla Shredded Wheat and Kashi Go Lean Crunch cereals.
You've seen the commercials. Seven whole grains on a mission. It's not that much pricier than "regular" cereal and while we don't eat  LOT of cereal, this is a good option for when you want some. The crunch can be sprinkled on yogurt for a "parfait" feeling. Pick 'N Save has a big Kashi selection.

6. Homemade Whole Wheat Pita Chips dipped in Nutella
Nutella has about the same fat as reduced fat Skippy per serving. 'Nuf said.

No comments: