Friday, November 23, 2012

Healthy Thanksgiving Recipes, Part 2

"Bring something healthy," is not as easy as it sounds. Number one, no one wants to actually eat anything healthy when there's mashed potatoes and gravy, buttery-and-crispy-on-top stuffing, those delicious cranberries right out of the can. (Yes, I'm one of those people. I love that jelly!)

Number two, no one wants to eat raw veg, which is the obvious choice.

So, armed with a Better Homes and Gardens magazine, I picked a fall salad that was colorful, crunchy and different. Yes, I brought some home. But I also had a single request to package some up for a fan.

I also took a healthy dip and some homemade pita chips. What I like about both recipes is that they can sit out for a while and there's no worrying about spoiling or melting or whatever ... so they'd be good for summer, too.

Harvest Slaw
(I'm going to give you Better Homes and Gardens version first, then tell you how I modified.)
4C red cabbage, sliced in thin ribbons
2 med to large apples (I used Cameo) sliced thin
Big handful of toasted pecans
Big handful of dried cranberries
Chopped cilantro

For dressing: Put 3T olive oil in a saute pan, add 2 cloves garlic, 2t ground caraway seeds, 1T honey. Heat through. Add 1/4C cider vinegar. Pour dressing over ingredients above, stir and serve.

I either had too much cabbage or the dressing just wasn't enough. I could have easily doubled it, I think. The recipe also did not call for salt and I think it needed some. I used a seasoned salt.

Red Pepper Spread
(http://www.ivillage.com/red-pepper-and-walnut-dip/3-r-312268)
1 onion, sliced thin
4 red peppers, seeded and sliced thin
2 cloves garlic, chopped
Juice and zest of one lemon
1C chopped toasted walnuts (I used pecans, because it's what I had)
Salt

Saute the onion in ample amount of olive oil. When it starts to soften, add red peppers. Cook until the whole mix is soft. Add garlic at the end. Let it all heat through.

Put mixture in food processor. Add walnuts, lemon zest and lemon juice. Pulse to relish-like consistency. Serve room temp with raw veg or homemade pita chips.

No comments: