Monday, November 19, 2012

Thanksgiving Potluck Metaphor

Lucky me ... I don't have to host Thanksgiving this year! (Though I believe my turn in the rotation comes up next year.)

Our family Thanksgiving is "potluck-ish" in that everyone pitches in and brings something so the host and hostess aren't burdened by all that 20+ diners require. Actually, it could be closer to 30 diners if all show. That's a LOT of mashed potatoes, if you get my drift.

The host family usually supplies the bird, the stuffing, the potatoes and gravy. Guests bring the rest.

What was I asked to bring? A chocolate pie and something healthy. I really like the ying and yang of that. It's sort of the perfect metaphor for my approach to this whole thing. Remember what Dr. Kidd said, waaaaaay back in the beginning of this?

"You gotta live a little." Dr. Kidd and the Clever Mediterraneans

So I plan on making a totally decadent chocolate pie and a healthier slaw-style salad. If either (or both) of them turn out OK, I'll post recipes.

And we both know which dish will require me to bring it home because it won't all get eaten, right?

No comments: