Sunday, November 18, 2012

Proof That I'm the Slowest ...

I spent the weekend with a state-qualified high school swimmer, her mom/club coach, her aunt/former high school swimmer and two other lovely ladies who swam on club and high school teams.

With all that talent, I had to ask for swimming advice, right? I had my ass handed to me again on Wednesday by two people who, when standing on the side of the pool, looked like people I thought I'd smoke.

I asked a lot of questions. They gave a lot of great advice.

And then I learned this ...

State-qualifying 500m-free swimmers complete that distance in 5 minutes. I assume lesser talents clock in at 6 minutes.

That means it would take them between 17-22 minutes to swim the distance I'm swimming in 45 minutes. Sometimes 50 minutes.

Umm, yeah. Told you I was slow.

But now that I have a shiny new swim cap, a pocketful of great advice and a new challenge, I'm gonna change all that.

P.S. I was fortunate enough to have a long weekend with my girls. You know the group ... girlfriends you've knows since before you were really you. The crew that's there on every best day in your life and, more importantly, there beside you on every worst day. They are the ones who helped you figure out who you were going to be and they are the ones that know all the bad stuff about you and like you anyway. I love and admire these women more than they know. And I'm grateful they are in my life.

No comments: