Thursday, November 29, 2012

The Importance of a Schedule

As much as I want to be a hippy-peace-and-love-no-stress-fly-by-the-seat-of-my-pants-throw-caution-to-the-wind-devil-may-care-rainbow-and-unicorns kind of girl ...

I'm not.

While I hate the confines of strict rules and unwavering requirements in all aspects of my life, I gotta admit I'm better with a deadline.

On the one hand, I hate Army-like regimentation. On the other, I need a little structure.

And, I think, that's what's been lacking in my exercise routine for the past few months. Part of what may have led up to this extra 10 (7.5 as of this morning) pounds. Part of what could have caused the shifting of the blubber into my butt and thighs.

My rest days vary too much. My long cardio workouts are hit and miss. I'm just not holding myself accountable.

So I'm giving some time to creating a new workout schedule, incorporating what I learned from the first go-round and from the injuries I suffered from this summer.

My new schedule, with the possibility of some tweaks to come, is going to look like this:

Monday: Rest day
Tuesday: Hip PT and run 3 or 4 miles in the a.m., swim 1 mile in the p.m.
Wednesday: Upper body strength workout and bike 1 hour in the a.m., swim 1 mile in the p.m.
Thursday: Run 4 miles in the a.m.
Friday:  Lift and choice of cardio or no cardio
Saturday: Long run
Sunday: Lift and bike 1 hour in the a.m.

No comments: