Monday, January 2, 2012

Indoors or Out?

This blustery day begs the question: Do you like to workout indoors or out?

As you know, November/December brought me a bit of a workout funk. I wasn't horribly motivated to head to my basement workout room and hit the treadmill. And when I did muster the energy to haul my ass down the stairs, I found it difficult to run very far or very long. I managed to convince myself that I was too tired or my knee hurt or that I just cound't go faster.

(Remember what I've told you ... your brain is the muscle that's the most difficult to retrain.)

To break the funk, I took to the streets.

While I was mostly off work these past two weeks, I've had the opportunity to run outside ... in the daylight! It's been GREAT! A change of scenery was just the boost I needed to get re-energized.

I've run been running every day. I've been running longer distances. I've been running new routes. It's good to feel jazzed about it again.

Until one of those icy mornings late last week, that is. A 10 a.m. appointment meant I needed to get my workout in from 8-9 a.m. I geared up and headed out at 7:45. And I promptly lost my footing on the gravel driveway. Too slippery to risk it.

So I turned right back around, peeled off the outdoor layers, and hit the treadmill ... grateful to have the alternative. I hit it again this morning, as the wind blew. And blew. And blew.

I can say, right now, that I like running outdoors better. The time goes faster. The change of scenery is nice. But I know that weather and darkness will prevent me from doing it every day until spring comes.

But the treadmill has its advantages. Other than being always available, it also teaches me to keep a steady pace, sustain an uphill climb for several miles, increase speed for short bursts ... and it allows me to catch up on my HGTV or Food Network.

The point is this: Know your brain. Know your body. Know what works for you and what doesn't. Prepare for the funk when it comes. Mix it up. Try something new. Then, to quote that shoe manufacturer, "Just do it."

No comments: