Sunday, April 15, 2012

Part 2: To Tell or Not To Tell?

I think I may have led you astray on the first installment of this topic. My apologies.

I appreciate the supportive responses. But I'm feeling a little guilty, because it sort of looked like I was "fishing for compliments" and I wasn't.

The point I didn't make very well was that I wonder how long it takes for my head to stop defining myself as the old me and the new me. How long before I stop worrying about the people that dismissed me when I was bigger ... real or imagined?

How long before I stop feeling guilty for being that version of me?

And how long before I stop apologizing for it or stop worrying about what others think of old me?

Part of me is embarrassed by Situation 1 where someone exposes the old me to someone who didn't know her. I'm genuinely afraid that if someone knows about my past, they will form an opinion of me that's less than flattering. Remember how my old boss declared that I got smarter as I got skinnier? (See here: http://www.carsickcaravan.blogspot.com/2011/08/i-got-smarter-as-i-got-skinnier.html)

And part of me is pissed off that I am kind of embarrassed by the old me. I should have taken control of my life long before I did.

But I also know that I needed to be her then to be me now. And I believe that all things happen for a reason.

Maybe that reason is to be here now to cheer YOU on in your journey.

And cheer I will. As loudly and often as you want me to.

No comments: