Thursday, April 12, 2012

To Tell or Not to Tell?

Does it matter now that I used to be bigger?

Situation 1: I'm at a show. I meet some new people manning the booth next to mine. People with whom I may want to explore future opportunities. We're discussing eating. More specifically, we're discussing the not-so-good-for-you happy hour spread that's been thrown out for the conventioneers. I have a small plate of cheese, grapes and nuts. "No wonder you're so tiny," he says. "That's all you eat."

Situation 2: I'm at a supplier event. I'm in line waiting to pick up my name card with a table assignment on it. The VP of said supplier, who hasn't seen me in four years, spots my name tag and does a literal double take. Then he catches my eye and cocks his head. "Is that really you?" he asks. I get a big hug. And then later, after dinner, he swings by again as I'm talking to my new sales rep ... someone I've talked with via email, but never met face-to-face before this evening. (In other words, he only knows THIS me.) VP sits down and says, "So really, what the hell happened? You look fantastic!"

Do I tell or not tell?

Does it matter to new people in Situation 1 or new sales rep in Situation 2 that I was bigger before?

WWMDD?

Miss Daisy disclosed everything in both cases.

I'm not sure why. Maybe someday the "new" will wear off and no one will remember the old me and I won't ever be in a spot where I need to fill in the back story for the new me to make sense.

Or I'll just get tired of talking about it. And making people listen to it.

2 comments:

HR GIRL said...

Dear Daisy,
Sharing your story is very caring and compassionate because no matter what someone struggles with, it shows that as humans we can always be improving. Your hard fought success very visibly says if you want something bad enough and you take the steps, change the behavior and get out of your own head and way that success is there for the taking.
What you hope to be like tomorrow depends on the choices you make today!

I applaud you!

marthamac said...

Tell! You deserve to share your story! You've worked hard to be the new you! Flaunt your success!