Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Another Thing I'm Slow At

I knew I was a slow runner. Usain Bolt has nothing to worry about from this side of the fence.

I have come to realize that I'm also a slow bike rider. I got passed like I was standing still on Sunday while on a deserted country road by a dude in full cycling get-up. He was long and lean and whooshed up beside me so quickly I didn't hear him coming. (Breathing heavy makes a lot of noise, you know.) And before I could choke out a response to his "Hey" greeting, he was gone, disappearing into the horizon in front of me.

And today, I learned that I'm also a slow swimmer.

Oy vey.

She arrived at the pool when I had about 20 lengths in. I planned to do 50 and was just hitting my stride. I took one look at her and thought to myself smugly, "Bet she wishes she could swim like me. Here I am, doing lap after lap of a very nice freestyle. Ain't I something?"

She was a big girl. Apple shaped. She promptly jumped in and kicked my ass.

Lapped me. More than once. Truthfully, she did 4 laps for every 3 of mine. Her breast stroke was faster than my freestyle. So was her back stroke. So was any and all other strokes she might have used.

I couldn't tell what she was doing. I was too busy trying to keep up. And failing.

She didn't know it, but she made my workout a lot better. I did 60 lengths. Faster than I would have without her there.

Someday I'll find an exercise I like and am good at. Until then, I'll keep plodding along.

I might not come in first, but I'll outlast you!

2 comments:

GaryAllanFan said...

I'm slow too.....but still faster than those sitting on the couch!

Miss Daisy said...

Amen, sister! Amen!