Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Find the Groooooooove!

Today was a swim day for me. As you already know, I'm trying to get cardio activity that's not running/walking as my hip continues to heal. That means two days a week at the Y's pool.

And, I kind of hate it.

I hate having to go to the basement. I hate the dampness in the air. I hate the smell. I hate the locker room. I hate having to  walk across the wet floor in my bare feet because all I can think of is fungus.

And I really hate starting. That first "get wet" moment when the water is cold and I have all those laps ahead of me just sucks.

I imagine these feelings are the same ones that may prevent you from doing whatever exercise you know you should be doing, but aren't. Rest assured, you're not alone.

But here's the secret.

Starting is the worst part. If you can get past that 10 seconds, you're more than halfway done.

(You've heard me say it before here: The Hardest Part of the Workout.)

The next hardest part is the beginning. For me, it's the first 10 or 20 laps in the pool. They're the ones where I think I'm tired ... too tired to go too far. My brain is trying to talk my body out of completing the job I've set out to do.

What I've learned is that if you just stick with it long enough, your body will settle in. Your body will find a groove where your breathing evens out and your head stops thinking about each step/stroke/pedal revolution. You find a spot where everything is working like it should be and while it's not easy, it's also not hard.

It's then that you get the best work done.

Tonight I swam a mile. Almost twice as far as I've gone before. And I did it because I found that zone.

Your body is capable. Your body is capable. Your body is capable.

Tell your brain to get out of the way.

No comments: