Thursday, August 9, 2012

Benefit of Being Thinner #32

This might be titled wrong. I'm not sure if this is a benefit of being thinner ... or a benefit of being healthier or a benefit of being stronger.

In any case, here's the feeling I'm trying to describe.

Today I stumbled across an article called, "The 10 Toughest Endurance Challenges (You Can Actually Do)" on Livestrong.com

It listed feats of endurance like the Tough Mudder (where you run through fire and electrically charged wires), the Ragnar Relay (two vans, 12 racers, and 36 hours of running), the Goofy Challenge (a half marathon on Saturday followed by a full marathon on Sunday).

Most of them sounded sort of impossible to me. Or just uninteresting. As in I have no desire to have some Special Ops dude yell at me for 12 hours as I lug bricks around in a backpack and carry telephone poles, for instance.

But when I came across the IronMan 70.3, I thought, "This is possible."

It's a 1.2 mile swim, 56 mile bike ride and half marathon, 13.1 miles.

Now, I know I'm feeling all heady after my 1-mile swim in the pool yesterday. And I realize a swim in a lake is an entirely different thing. But I am pretty sure I CAN do it. Following that with a 56-mile bike ride seems sort of not that hard. I haven't actually ridden 56 miles before of course, but I know I could if someone had a gun to my head.

Then there's a half marathon. I know I'm not ready for that now, but after a year of training, I think it's possible. I mean, I have done it before. I could always walk.

What a head trip.

The me of three years ago couldn't have begun to wrap my head around that. Wouldn't have even considered such a thing.

I love that this me not only thinks about it, but thinks it's really doable.

It's a fantastically fun thought to carry around in my head. And one that will help me get myself out of bed tomorrow morning for that walk at 5:30 a.m.


No comments: