Sunday, August 26, 2012

Pretzel City!

Ladies and Gentlemen! Exciting news!

I know of a place where pretzels are as revered as I believe they should be. I stumbled upon it yesterday and can't quite believe my good fortune. (Regular CC readers know of my pretzel obsession ... those big, hard, sourdough babies make me so very happy!)

The place is Freeport, IL. And, it proudly proclaims itself "Pretzel City" on an enormous stone marker carved with a big, ol' pretzel when you come into town on Highway 20.

But wait. It gets better.

On my way to my destination, I had to pass the high school. Are you ready for this? The high school's mascot is ... wait for it ...

A Pretzel!!!!

That's right. They're called The Freeport Pretzels!

A quick web search has given me this information:

The town is named thusly because of its German heritage. Calista Flockhart of Allie McBeal fame is a proud Pretzel alum. And Abraham Lincoln and Stephen Douglas had a campaign-deciding debate there.

But most importantly, there is a Pretzel City Festival every year. And during that festival, there's a 5K race. And with that race comes a T-shirt!

I'm so there next June! Are you joining me?

No comments: