Saturday, August 11, 2012

Big Al's Rubdown Service

Is it wrong to spend my Thursday afternoon with a dude named Al who spent 30 minutes rubbing my thigh? 

I hope not. 

Because once he was done with my thigh, he moved up to my hip. With a little help from some lubricating gel and an electrical device, I had quite an experience. 

My husband doesn't seem concerned. 

Physical therapy continues. My therapist, I like to think of him as Big Al, didn't walk through more exercises this week. He seemed satisfied with my status report and asked me to perform a couple of moves to ensure my form was right. 

Then he gave me the rub down. 

The first 15 minutes (I'm sure it wasn't that long, but it seemed like it) was spent on kneading my IT band. Your IT band runs from the outside of your knee to the outside of your thigh. He went up and down dozens of times, leaving me with a nice, red line. But it felt good. 

Then he whipped out an ultrasound machine, lubed up my hip, and began making small circles with a flat-nosed, pistol-shaped thing. I felt heat inside, but not hot outside. It's radio waves, I guess, whose pulsation increases blood flow and loosens tissues, ultimately decreasing inflammation.

It made the whole thing feel oddly tingly. 

My hip, that is. 

And don't get me started on the calf and foot rub-down I received as part of my pedi on Friday afternoon. 

Maybe this injury thing isn't so bad after all? 

P.S. I'm pretty sure I could carry "Big Al" for a quarter-mile if I had to. But I wanted your imagination to make him a bit brawnier. 

   

No comments: