Saturday, August 4, 2012

Just WALK!

Today I was reminded of the power of walking. 

I hit the pavement relatively early, after the first good night's sleep in a week. It was hot, muggy ... no air moving. The sun was already high in the sky. And because it was Saturday morning, there wasn't much in the way of traffic on the road. 

I walked. 

I walked for about 4 miles. Maybe a little more. 

And I did a little reminiscing about how this whole journey began. It began with walking. 

I've also decided walking is simply the most perfect exercise. (Are you surprised I said this?)

I know I've been waxing on (and on and on and on) about running for the past six months. And I do love it. But let's be real. Not everyone can or should run. It's hard on joints. You can't "start" with running. Injuries happen. 

But walking is something everyone can do. You can do it anywhere. You can do it when you're young or when you're old. You can go far or not. You can go fast or not. You can make it group activity or not. 

It's easy. There's also something so powerful about knowing you can get from here to there with just you. No coordination or practice or equipment needed. 

The hard part is getting out there and doing it. 

There are a million excuses not to. But none of them are valid. 

Just WALK. 

No comments: