Tuesday, January 4, 2011

The Hardest Part of the Workout

The VERY HARDEST part of my workout every day might surprise you.

It's not the first interval at an increased speed after my warm-up where I struggle to catch my breath and find my stride. It's not the LONG stretch in the middle where I zone out and the finish line seems soooooo far away. It's not the last half mile when I'm sweaty and tired and running late for work.

The very hardest part of my workout is the 80 or so steps that take me from my bed, to the bathroom, to the closet where my workout clothes live and finally to the basement treadmill.

Those 80 or so steps are simply torturous. Figuratively, it's worse than having cement blocks chained to my feet with spiky iron links. I feel like I'm trudging through quicksand as my will to sleep for just 5 more minutes or to skip just one day tries to suck me down under the covers where it's warm and snuggly and quiet.

The muscles in my legs are simply no match for the muscle in my head.

WARNING: Your damn brain will sabotage you.

Don't let it! Know it's out to get you. Know it's trying to fool you. Know it's screwing with you!

And also know that if you can get past that first step, it gets better.

I know that if I can get to my basement, I feel better almost instantly. As I stretch, the glow starts inside. As I step on the treadmill, it gets stronger. There are times I get to the end of the workout and want to keep going. In the shower, drying my hair, getting dressed, eating breakfast ... I know that if nothing else goes right today, I did one really GREAT thing. And that feeling is so addicting.

I hope you find it, too.

No comments: