Sunday, January 2, 2011

Party Swap-Outs

As previously mentioned, we had a Rose Bowl party yesterday. (And I had a blast, BTW.) Unbeknownst to my guests, I made a few switches to normal party fare in an effort to make it not as terrible as it could be.

No one even noticed.

Makes me feel a little sneaky. But makes my jeans feel better.

Here are the easy swap-outs I made. Nothing too terribly clever. But every little bit helps.

Taco meat: Use half lean ground beef and half ground turkey.
Crab dip: Use light or fat free sour cream and cream cheese.
Potato chips: Didn't serve them. Instead had a bowl of big, crunchy pretzels with honey mustard and stone-ground mustard for dipping.
Red velvet cupcakes: Made with Egg Beaters instead of whole eggs and applesauce instead of veg oil.
Shredded cheese and sour cream for taco bar: Used reduced fat versions of both.
Drinks: Offered diet sodas in all flavors for mixers and had a low-carb beer available.
Veg tray/dip: Used light sour cream.
Candy: Offered fat-free licorice instead of M&Ms.
Taco Bar: Offered whole wheat and corn tortillas in addition to white flour versions.
Tortilla chips: Baked Tostitos Scoops, baby.

What did this mean for me? Meant there was room for a delicious, soft, chewy chocolate chip cookie bar once everyone left and we were cleaning up the kitchen. Yum.

P.S. I have enough beer left over to have ANOTHER party sometime soon. Think of a reason to celebrate and come on over!

No comments: