Friday, January 7, 2011

You Really Are What You Eat

Exercise is great. And necessary.

But I don't think it's the key to losing weight.

It helps; don't get me wrong. It makes the weight come off faster. It keeps you toned as the pounds drop.

But eating right is more important, in my opinion. Much more important. And if I end up with a day where I have to choose one or the other, I know eating right will benefit me more.

In previous posts, I have mentioned a time years ago when I lost weight. I did it by exercising. I exercised like a mad woman. I was single and had all the time in the world ... so I hit the fitness center at my workplace for two hours a day. Every day. My typical routine was to ride a stationary bike for 60 minutes, stair climb for 30 minutes and walk/run for 30 more. I occasionally lifted a few weights, too.

I hit it hard for months. I dropped a lot of weight. I felt great and thought I had it all figured out. But I never really learned how to eat properly.

And I burned myself the slap out. Let's face it. How long can you realistically work out for two hours a day? I mean, eventually you have to live your life. So seven days a week becomes six. Which becomes five, then four, then three. And before you know it, you're not working out at all.

Guess what happens then if you've never learned how to eat right?

It all comes back.

That's why I like the Mediterranean Pyramid. It tells you what a serving size is. It tells you how many you should eat in a day. And there's enough "available" for each day to keep you full.

Remember, this is YOUR program. You're in control.

Sometimes NOT using a muscle (the one that moves your hand to your mouth) is one of the hardest workouts of all.

2 comments:

Heather Hoile said...

Such a good point! I will do good for months of working out and then life gets hectic and before I know it a month has passed with no gym time and I'm right back where I started.

Miss Daisy said...

Amen, sistah. The good news is you can ALWAYS start again!