Friday, January 21, 2011

Prom Dress Promise

I am still in possession of the prom dress from my senior year in high school. That means I have been carrying it around for almost 25 years.

I adore it.

Back in the spring of 1986, it was a hot little number, too.

Those of you that remember 1986 in small town Wisconsin might remember the fashion of the day. Gunne Sax dresses were still in vogue. Pastel floral prints, lacey high necks, hoop skirts and ruffles. Lots of ruffles.

The dress from my junior year fit all those criteria. It was a Mother-approved, baby pink, dotted Swiss number that I wore with white vinyl sandals and a shawl. (I also had braces on my teeth and still got served a bottle of wine at the restaurant, go figure. Times were certainly different.)

Gack.

So my senior year, I went for broke. The dress is hot pink, tea length, off the shoulder matte-finish iridescent taffeta. Did you get that? HOT pink. TEA length. OFF the shoulder. I wore it with a pair of exact-match hot pink Nine West pumps that I loved with all my heart (and wore for years afterward). I thought I was the rockin'-est chick there ever was.

I tried it on last night.

It's a size 9. I was hopeful.

It didn't fit. I can get the zipper up past my waist, but my rib cage is apparently MUCH larger than it was oh so many years ago.

But I think there's a chance I can get in it.

If my remaining 16 pounds come off in the right places, you just might see me on Prom Night at a local restaurant, pretending Jim is my "older" boyfriend who can legally buy booze for me and ALL my friends!

And who knows ... maybe by my 10-year wedding anniversary in 2012 I can make two dresses out of my original size 20 gown for a vow renewal.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

This is awesome and you were surely smashing in those dresses! The matching shoes, ahh...the shoes.
Positive People Prosper! Those 16 pounds will be gone in no time.

Miss Daisy said...

What I find funny is that the sweet, mom-approved dress went with the "wild" boy and the "wild" dress went with a sweet (but not as interesting) boy. I've been repeating Positive People Prosper since you called. Even passed it on to the pedicure lady today.