Monday, January 31, 2011

Blackened Salmon

I made salmon for the first time in my life tonight. (I don't really LIKE salmon. But I'm trying to eat it a little more because I know it's good for me.) It's too spicy for Jim. He's not home yet, but won't love it. And because it's actually very spicy, I've adjusted the seasoning below. Original recipe found on AllRecipes.com.

Note: You'll have more spice mix than fish. I'm going to save it and use it to roast cauliflower with later this week.

Blackened Salmon
Two 6 oz portions of salmon, skin removed
2 Tbsp paprika
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1 Tbsp onion powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp each thyme, oregano, basil
Olive oil

Sprinkle both sides of fish with seasoning mix. Put a little olive oil in a hot pan. (Make sure your exhaust fan is on!) Drop fish in and let it sear. I flipped it when it started to smoke "too much." Sear second side. Depending on how thick the fillet is, the fish may not be done all the way through. I like my salmon DONE. So I put it in a 375 degree oven until it was very firm and opaque all the way through.

2 comments:

Michelle said...

I love to make salmon packets on the grill in the summer with fresh veggies. Super easy, yummy and minimal clean-up. You can make the packets with really any fish. I will send you some recipes.

Miss Daisy said...

I will take any and all recipes. We make cod and haddock like that on the grill. I just have a texture thing with salmon, swordfish, mahi mahi, tuna steaks. I can eat tuna/salmon sushi and tuna from a can. But think salmon from a can smells like catfood. Barf.