Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Bike Essentials

Here's what I take when I bike:



Clockwise from top left:

Bike Helmet: This goes without saying, right, when you're riding on the road with cars whizzing by you at 55 mph or more.

Hydration: I have two water bottle holders on my bike. And, sadly, only one free Home Depot water bottle. So I carry a regular bottle of water, too. Getting the cap off can be  a challenge for someone as uncoordinated as me, but it's doable. When it's really hot, I also carry a water bottle in the pocket on my bike shirt. Bike shirts have pockets on your back.

Gloves: Mine are half-finger gloves with pads that sit right above your palm and below where your fingers. (I'm not sure what that part of your hand is called?) Now, there are those of you that will say gloves are overkill and make you look like a dork. And you might be right. I like them because the padding absorbs some of the bouncy/shock, but mostly because they absorb sweat. With them, my slimy hands don't slide on the handlebars.

Phone Case: This baby has two velcro loops on the back to hook it over the bar that goes between your legs and connects to the handlebars. I can operate the phone from the clear plastic cover, but I never do. There's enough room for a credit card/cash and ID if I so choose to put it in there.

Pepper Spray: See yesterday's reasoning.

Sunglasses: Necessary for me. These are not-remotely-fancy safety/sunglasses that I found in Jim's shop.

I also wear a Bondi Band under my helmet to keep the sweat out of my eyes. And padded bike shorts. And as loudly/brightly/neonly colored shirt as I can find ... so cars can see me.

No comments: