Saturday, July 6, 2013

G#$ D&% F@*(!$ing Bugs!

Well THAT was unpleasant!

Just got back from a 5-ish mile walk in the sun and I can honestly say it was one of the very worst workouts I've ever had. 

Not because it was hot. Not because I got a blister. Well, two, actually. Not because I had to go slow to "break in" a new set of shoe inserts from yesterday's visit to PT. 

Those inconveniences I could handle. 

What I can't handle is the flippin' BUGS. 

Oh. My. Gravy. Gnats. Flies. Mosquitoes. Bigger, buzzier things. All zipping around my head like 747s. My walk sounds like this: 

Step. Step. Swat. Step. Slap. Swat. Wave. Step. Swat. Fan. Wave. Step ...

And I can only imagine how it looks. I'm slapping myself in the face. Brushing bugs off my head. Waving my arms around, trying to shoo them away as they fly into my ears and my mouth. 
My pony tail isn't this voluptuous.
The worst part is that this is the second time this week the bugs showed up. My cousin and I had a nice 7-8 miler on Thursday on the Sugar River Trail between Brodhead and Albany and the mosquitoes were NUTS. I was getting bit as we walked from the car to the trail. 

I guess I have a new pre-workout checklist: 

Phone. Water. iPod. Pepper spray. And, now ... bug spray.

No comments: