Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Tale of Two Cyclists

When I ride my bike to work, I carry my "good" clothes in a backpack, lock my bike up, hit the showers and then go about my business.

I hang my sweaty riding gear to dry in my office and when the workday is done, I reverse the process ... sneak to the bathroom, put on my now-dry-but-sort-of-stinky ensemble, wad up my work clothes and tuck them into my backpack and head for the bike rack.

Which means I have to stride through the building in my bike stuff.

Looking like a royal dork.

But Monday, I had company.

There's a guy who works in Tech who rides his own bike to work. We hit the elevator at the same time and I had to laugh.

His bike is heavier and louder than mine. And it has a motor. Or I suspect it does ... I didn't actually see it, because we headed for separate doors once we landed on the first floor.

But picture me in padded shorts, a neon yellow long sleeve shirt, white helmet and half-finger gloves. Thinking I'm sort of tough.

Then imagine him in full leathers ... pants and jacket ... carrying a serious helmet like this:



And he, of course, knows I'm not remotely tough by comparison.

I bet his ride home was a whole bunch faster than mine.

No comments: