Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Eeeek! A Boy in the Girl's Locker Room!

I rode my bike to work Tuesday. All went well and I'm really starting to enjoy the trip. I look forward to it.

The hardest part, however, is making sure my ducks are in a row before I leave my house. Clothes including bra and underwear? Check. Make up? Check. Deodorant? Check. Shoes that match the clothes? Check. You get the idea.

I was halfway to work Tuesday when I realized I'd left my key card at home. It lives in my car when it's not on me ... in a cupholder. And there it still was, as I was pedaling through the south side of town.

Our building requires a card to get in the front door and it has to be flashed again on the 4th floor to get from the atrium where the elevator lands to the offices or anytime you move between floors. Luckily for me, someone I knew was arriving just as I finished locking up my bike and I hitched a keycard ride, making it to my office just fine.

But then I had a problem. Without a keycard, I couldn't get to the locker room on the 3rd floor and back up again.

So after calling Jim and asking him to drop off my own card, I cruised the hallway outside my office where my team sits. Jeff was busily working, headphones in. I said hi, in full bike regalia (can't take off the helmet because the hair is not displayable!) and asked him if I could borrow his keycard for 30 minutes. He obliged.

Then it occurred to me that Jeff's keycard had probably never been in the girl's locker room before. And as much I love Jeff, there was something creepy about taking even just the image of him with me. I'm quite sure he doesn't want to see whatever is in that locker room just as much as I and the other ladies would prefer to not be seen.

This was my solution. A little tape and a piece of yellow Post-It Note. I think we both agree it was for the best.



No comments: