Friday, May 13, 2011

I Ate the Fork

I ran out at noon yesterday for an errand and didn't have much time to cram some lunch in my gut before a 1 p.m. meeting. So, in an effort to eat well (and avoid the whole drive thru scenario), I popped into the little cafe/breakroom on the 4th floor before I went back to my desk.

Normally, I grab a raw veg cup with some dip and two hard-boiled eggs. But the veg cups were sold out by the time I got there. In a bold and out-of-the-box move, I snagged a "Garden Salad" instead ... a cup or two of iceberg with a couple of slices of cucumber and a tomato wedge. And I added a skim milk.

(WHAT ... an exciting life I lead! Wild woman, eh?)

I've only got about 10 minutes to wolf this stuff down.

As I'm shoving the lettuce into my pie hole, I hear a funny cracking noise. Still chewing, I pull the plastic fork out of my mouth. Sure enough, one of the tines has a tip missing.

I consider spitting out the mouthful of lettuce.  But 1) I paid for that lettuce, 2) I want "all" the lettuce I bought ... there isn't that much to start with and 3) I don't have time to get too fussy. I take a couple of exploratory chews, trying to find the hard plastic piece.

Can't feel it.

So I finish chewing and swallow.

Pathetic, isn't it? I love/need/want that lettuce so much, I'm willing to ingest a little petroleum-based plastic fork to get it.

P.S. Blogger.com was down yesterday. Which means I couldn't post. Sorry!

2 comments:

Amber said...

They're Eco forks.. I'm pretty sure I read in the intranet that they are made out of corn. Yay for an extra vegetable serving!

Miss Daisy said...

LOL! Really, Amber? What a relief!