Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Not Too Awful Dessert

This recipe represents my Midwestern roots. I bet it shows up a lot at church potlucks. It's not guilt-free; but compared to cheesecake, it's not so terrible. And it always reminds me of my mom and Easter/spring. I'm currently obsessed with it.

Pistachio Fluff
1 small box Sugar Free Pistachio pudding mix
1 tub lite or fat free Cool Whip
1 can pineapple (crushed or tidbits), reserve the liquid
Handful or two of chopped walnuts
1/2 c to 1 c mini-marshmallows
Dozen maraschino cherries, sliced in half

Mix it all together. Add as much of the pineapple juice as you need to make it a fluffy consistency (vs. too stiff). You can skip the marshmallows if you want. And think of the alternative combinations: cheesecake pudding mix with low-fat graham crackers and strawberries? Chocolate pudding dollops on reduced fat Nilla Wafers with strawberries or mandarin oranges? Vanilla pudding with blackberries and almonds?

No comments: